Saturday, December 08, 2012



AhsChoir had a farewell for our teacher in charge Mr Tan today. Hope he doesn't mind mind me sharing what he posted on facebook up here. (unsure of the privacy settings)

Felt like tearing/had goosebumps listening to this, especially at "until we meet again". Here are my honest thoughts, because what was felt was simply overwhelming. Sometimes I listen to music for a few times to understand it a little more, but this - it just got to my core the first time round. There are many choral pieces that can be more beautiful than this, but the context matters the most. I cannot begin to describe how it tugs at the heartstrings, releases them and gently pulls them back. It's been a long while since I've been moved so much by a song so, so beautiful that I choke when I try to sing it. The harmony and dynamics - build up, gently cascade down and continue to flow. None of the students' faces are recognizable, but watching and listening to people so young capable of creating something so beautiful.. evokes memories. Of how we were fifteen and got our Gold with Honours. We sang credo at Olomouc. We circled around the teachers there and Ubi Caritas was the first song that entered everyone's minds. We sang it. I think M (if I'm not wrong) was the student conductor. He was a small thirteen year old boy back then, and now he's conducting, communicating so elegantly.

Loneliness, besides nostalgia, was the only other emotion I knew when I heard xuan was going back with her friends for the farewell, saw photos on facebook with the (major) clique from my batch with Mr Tan. I wish I were part of a group back then. Nobody will ever ask me to attend choir related events even though I am so in love with the music and want to be part of it so badly. Same for band in jc, same for everything else. I wish I were not that different. Or quiet. I wish I belong with the people who love the same things as I do.

Farewell Mr Benjamin Tan. I wasn't part of the exco and didn't know you well, but you remind me of the conductor at les Choristes. You were charismastic and taught us music and values. Farewell, even though you'd never read this. Farewell, even though the only thing you'll remember about me is my name.

This is wonderful beyond measure.
Ahs Choir, you're so beautiful :')

No comments: